If you have a chimney or a gas fireplace in your home, having it inspected from time to time is essential. Creosote, soot, and debris can build up over time and create a fire hazard. Furthermore, if you have a gas fireplace, failing to have it serviced from time to time puts you at risk of carbon monoxide (CO) poisoning.
Here are four signs that your chimney or fireplace needs to be cleaned as soon as possible.
Fires Burn Poorly
Maintaining a fire requires sufficient airflow. If there is a buildup of soot and debris in your chimney, the reduced airflow will make it difficult to ignite a fire or to keep it burning. Additionally, carbon monoxide will be produced in higher quantities if there is a buildup of grime in your gas fireplace.
Soot or Creosote Buildup
You should check your chimney for creosote and soot regularly. When you are not using your fireplace, reach into your chimney and touch the walls. If you feel a greasy buildup, soot and creosote are building up in your chimney. If this is the case, have it cleaned as soon as you can. Creosote buildup can cause a chimney fire, or CO poisoning.
Strong Odors and Smoke Buildup
A fire should produce the pleasant scent of burning wood. A strong odor coming from the chimney indicates that you have a problem with the chimney shaft. A blocked shaft causes smoke to build up in your home when you’re burning a fire. Unpleasant odors can also be another sign of creosote buildup in the chimney.
Signs of Animals
Birds and rodents will often nest inside chimneys. Their nests can block the chimney’s flue and cause smoke and harmful gases to back up into your home. If you hear the sounds of animals or birds near your chimney, contact a chimney sweep for cleaning.
Contact us to learn more and schedule your chimney cleaning. We look forward to assisting you.