During the winter, you rely on your home’s heating system to keep your family comfortable when it’s cold. In order to ensure the safety of your home and family, it is important to perform routine maintenance, including chimney inspections. If you are unsure about whether you need one, here are 5 signs it’s time for a chimney inspection.
1. You haven’t had one in the last year: In order to make sure that your home’s heating system is running properly, it is necessary to have an inspection at least once a year. A chimney professional will ensure that everything is in working order and that there are no obstructions in your chimney.
2. You just bought a home: When you buy a home, you will want to have a chimney inspection before making an offer, and at least, before you move in. This will ensure that the chimney is in working order, and if not, allows you time to budget for repairs.
3. You notice a build-up: You should routinely clean your chimney and remove excess soot. If there is an extensive build-up, it is best to have the chimney inspected and professionally cleaned. This will prevent a costly chimney fire which can damage your home.
4. Your heating system isn’t operating properly: If you notice excessive smoke or funny smells, this is a sign that your system is not operating properly. Carbon monoxide may not be escaping from your chimney, which is extremely dangerous for you and your family. If you notice these signs, contact a chimney professional immediately.
5. Yes, even your gas fireplace needs a chimney inspection: Although most people associate chimney cleaning with wood-burning fireplaces, it is important to ensure there is proper ventilation for your gas fireplace. A chimney inspection will ensure that the chimney is free from obstructions like leaves, twigs, and birds’ nests.
Contact Fiddler on the Roof today if you would like to schedule a chimney inspection in your home.