House fires are very common in the winter months, especially in homes with wood-burning fireplaces. Knowing as much as you can about house fires can help you avoid some of the most common causes of them, which is why we would like to provide you with the following information.
Chimney Fires Often Go Undetected
Chimney fires are often not detected until after they have caused a significant amount of damage. A fire can actually rage inside your chimney for quite some time without you even knowing it, which is why having a working smoke detector inside your home is so important.
One of the first signs of a chimney fire may not be flames or smoke. It could actually be a loud noise coming from your chimney that may mimic a freight train. Other times, a fire could produce popping and cracking noises that are loud enough to be heard some distance outside your home.
More House Fire Facts
- House fires often start when floating particles leave the fireplace, igniting other items. This is one reason why people are cautioned against burning wrapping paper during the holiday season.
- Chimney fires can burn in excess of 2,000 degrees Fahrenheit, which means they can cause serious burns if you even come near them.
- Burning treated lumber can increase the amount of glazed creosote in your chimney. Glazed creosote is especially stubborn to remove, and increases your risk of a fire tremendously.
- If you have experienced even a small fire, you should have your chimney inspected so that any necessary repairs can be made before using it again.
The best way to prevent house fires is by having chimney sweeps inspect and clean your structure at least once each year. Give us a call or use the form on our website to schedule your inspection today.
Leave a Reply